Monday, May 9, 2016

Victory

Shouts of jubilation reverberated around the world. People left their homes and workplaces to dance together in crowded city streets, cheering and singing together. It didn’t matter if they knew each other or not; everyone was united at heart. After so much loss, after so much hardship, the fierce fight for freedom had finally brought reason to rejoice: the war in Europe was over.

Yesterday, May 8th, was V-E Day – the date the western world celebrates achieving Victory in Europe at the close of WWII. After war officials signed the instrument of surrender in Berlin, the news went forth via radio airwaves, newspapers, telegrams, and word of mouth. The Allies erupted in victorious exultation.

As believers in Christ, we are involved in our own battles. Some are personal: “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me” (Romans 7:18-20).

No comments:

Post a Comment